Navagation

 Facebook    Gallery    YouTube     Twitter

Monday, October 7, 2019

Symbols, Symbols Every Where Symbols

Contact
YouTube

               Facebook    Gallery    Twitter




The other week my friend asked me to help her think of some emojis kids could design during class. Really it is ironic that we are going back to communicating as they did in the caveman days. I also thought about this blog I wrote a few years ago.
Sunday, March 10, 2013
Symbols, Symbols Every Where Symbols
The other day I was thinking how I always said I was born at the wrong time, because my life keeps getting a bit easier as the technology improves. Maybe the field of Speech Pathology was ahead of the rest of society. When I first started to use a communication board, they were hand drawn symbols with words on it, so other people knew what the symbol meant. As my vocabulary grew, they would just add another symbol to the board.

I find it interesting that most of the same communication symbols are in use today even thou that devices have become digital. This takes the fun away from watching your speech therapist messing around with the contact paper and getting the bubbles out of it. Do not forget the fading from repeated used or rearranging when adding new symbols. Out of the blue I came up with this phrase to add on my board, “You rabbit you”. Nobody could figure out where it came from, but a few years later, Mrs. Peterson found it. She did not say where she found it, maybe it came from Bugs Bunny.
The reason why I had these thoughts, it is that symbols have become mainstream vocabulary. All of our social sites are just known as symbols, or on any electric device a symbol opens an application. Talk about different worlds colliding!


No comments:

Post a Comment